I. Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 7:00PM.
II. Roll call
Attending: Barbara McKinley, Ben Elliott, Carlos Obregon, Deidre Smith, Jamie Hargreaves, Jane Chersak, Penny Shier, Beth Horne
Regrets: Richard Grimes
III. Unfinished Business
A. Update on Sending Motion to Council: The District Mayor, all Council Members and the District Engineering Department confirmed receipt of the letter supporting further traffic calming measures.
B. Update on Transfer to New Executive: New members were thanked for their contributions. Update on NQCA Website was provided. New sections for meetings and updates, two-way links between Nextdoor and NQCA website. Boundaries will be redrawn in consultation with Delbrook’s Nextdoor lead.
C. Garage Sale: Jane to review the materials from 2019 and coordinate with Carlos for circulation VIA Nextdoor and NQCA website. Weekly reminders to the community and coordination with neighbours suggested.
D. Traffic Calming: A subcommittee and community outreach suggested.
Safety issues faced by the community: No sidewalks, 3 schools, surrounded by busy roads, speeding, increase in delivery vehicles.
A member shared a story and the willingness of their neighbour to support safety measures. A mechanism for community input was suggested.
Committee to meet and map out priorities.
E. Crime and Safety: It was noted that BlockWatch is quite active but does not cover all areas within NQCA boundaries.
A member voiced that Nextdoor is a good existing resource for crime and safety reporting. Suggestion for Nextdoor to coordinate further with BlockWatch.
Potential Crime and Safety champion to be determined.
IV. New Business
A. Revisit the mandate of the association: Deidre read aloud the mandate and provided context. Barb to circulate mandate to board members for feedback.
The four board members with email account access will incorporate any feedback and if needed submit revised mandate for approval by the board.
B. How to improve communications with the community: Nextdoor highlighted as a powerful tool, commercial posts receive mixed responses. Direct messaging to Norwood Queens residents recommended. Currently close to 500 neighbourhood members on Nextdoor.
Suggestions: Community bulletin boards, tear notices, mail drops, contests, coordination with Nextdoor and/or BlockWatch. The board further discussed a realtor sponsored mail drop campaign.
Jamie advised that the District will provide $200 and road barriers for a block party.
Board decided to move forward with tear notices at this time. Deidre volunteered to create a first draft of the posts.
NQCA website VS Nextdoor page. Suggestion that we tap in to Nextdoors success as opposed to competing. Board agreed focus should be on the Nextdoor page which will in turn drive traffic to the NQCA website.
C. NV CAN liaison and how this larger group can help us: Barb attended the last NV CAN meeting and provided an update.
Diedre provided an overview of NV CAN and some of past activities such as Calder forest issue. Barb volunteered to attend their Zoom meetings and be the NQCA liaison at this time.
V. Next Meeting Dates
Traffic Calming Subcommittee [Jamie (Chair), Penny (Secretary), Pam, Richard, Jane]: May 5th, 7:00PM General Board Meeting: June 9th, 7:00PM
Barb will have NV CAN set up Zoom meeting rooms for each and circulate.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:23PM
Minutes submitted by: Ben Elliott Minutes approved by: Deidre Smith